Who is this session for?
Web developers who design plugins and themes for their institutions.
Full-Site Editing (FSE) is a powerful expansion of WordPress’s baked-in toolkit. The new features that constitute FSE allow editors to lay out their entire website—including templates for pages, archives, and custom posts—with no coding required. Yet despite how easy it is to use FSE, coding a theme that takes full-advantage of it presents a slew of obstacles—especially for developers acquainted with standard Classic themes.
Without realizing it, Monmouth University’s web team overcame many of these challenges early on. By gradually integrating other new WordPress features, they discovered and grasped the necessary quirks for building an FSE theme—on top of broadening their programming skillset. This presentation will outline their process step-by-step to show other teams a path toward the Full Site Editing experience.
- Developers should approach new WordPress features as an opportunity to not only modernize the site but their programming repertoire.
- By steadily adopting new features and embracing a hybrid Classic/FSE model, developers can update their site piece-by-piece and determine how far they should to go.
- Learning the ins-and-outs of the Block Editor and the Block API will take time, but this process is necessary for taking full advantage of FSE.
Block Environment Plugin: https://github.com/
Post-Session: Recommended Tutorials, Books, and Courses
- "Building Custom Gutenberg Blocks: The Definitive Block Development Tutorial", tutorial by Carlo Daniele
- Full site editing for theme developers, course by Carolina Nymark
- "A Deep Introduction to WordPress Block Themes", tutorial by Ganesh Dahal
ES6 and React
To take advantage of WordPress Blocks, you will need some familiarity with ES6 and React. Steve personally found the following sources helpful.
- General Lecture Session: Destination Full-Site Editing: All the Steps Monmouth University Took to Prepare for the Future of WordPress
Thank you for the generous support of our sponsors. Check out their services and let them know how grateful we are for their support.